Based on my research before i started the trip, there are a lot of bus that operated from HCMC to Pnom Penh then change to another vehicle to Siem Reap. I would only recommend Mekong Express and Giant Ibis because these operators have good review from the passenger and well known in the internet. Most important thing! they have a trusted booking site (www.giantibis.com & catmekongexpress.com) which is more safe for tourist. However, other buses are also recommended and the price shall be cheaper than those 2 operator. this post will specificly review about Mekong express since that is the bus operator i used.
- Introduction of 7 days backpacking through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar
- Day 1 : Ho Chi Minh City - A day tour in the former capital city of vietnam
- Day 2 : Overland from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap by Mekong Express bus
- Day 3 : Siem Reap - The Khmer Civilization in Angkor Wat
- Day 4 : Overland from Siem Reap to Bangok by Nattakan bus
- Day 5 : Bangkok - Visiting Grand Palace during Coronation day
- ay 6 - 7 : Bagan - The city of thousands Temples and Pagodas
The Mekong Cat express has good departure position, Pham ngu Lao Street. They also give free pick-up from nearby accomodation. I would recommend to survey the departure location a day before because the building sign does not indicated clearly (in case you do not get free pick up or wake up late). The bus will depart at 7 AM so make sure you are already there in time. Inside the bus, the attendant will give you some instruction and ask you to collect your passport, filled embarkation card (they will give you the blank card) and 1 USD (they said that this is for service fee). The Journey detail will be :
- Ho Chi Minh City - Pnom penh : 07:00 - 13:00
- Transit/changing bus in Pnom penh : 13:00 - 14:25
- Pnom penh - Siem reap : 14:25 - 20:00
They will make some stops for toilet thing and having several minutes rest during the journey.
The bus attendant will collect passport, embarkation card and 1 USD from each passenger then give those to the immigration office. The Passenger must alight and gather at the front of the passport check box. Queuing is not necessary. The officer will call per person as per passport name for stamping and give back the passport to the owner. After that, you must show your passport to another officer for stamp checking. Go back to bus for next immigration. That's all. simple so i like it!